HVO fuel (Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil)
Replace your fossil diesel with HVO fuel and cut your net CO2 emissions by as much as 90%
HVO fuel (Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil) is a form of renewable diesel that’s been synthesised from renewable and sustainably sourced fats and oils. It’s FAME-free and fossil-free and is a member of the paraffinic family of fuels which are defined by high-quality, cleaner burning fuels that contain no sulphur or aromatic content.
HVO fuel is already seeing widespread use in modern vehicles, trains, inland waterways, generators, construction machinery and industrial power systems. It provides a quick and straightforward step to net zero instead of the long-delayed jump needed for electrification.
Help shape the future of sustainability and choose HVO fuel today. As one of the UK’s largest suppliers, we can supply the renewable diesel to wherever you are, with some of the quickest delivery times in the industry. Call 0333 241 6880 to speak to a fuel specialist.
Benefits of using HVO fuel
- Compatibility – Drop-in alternative to diesel that’s compatible with existing fuelling infrastructures
- Low emissions – Up to 90% lower net CO2 and notable reduction in nitrogen oxide (NOx), particulate matter (PM) and carbon monoxide (CO)
- Clean – Zero FAME, sulphur and fossil content, and free from aromatics, sulphur and metals
- Approved – Tried and tested product and endorsed by a wide range of OEMs. Conforms to EN15940 & ASTM D975 standards for paraffinic and diesel fuels and the Fuel Quality Directive 2009/30/EC Annex 2
- Long lifespan – Up to 10-year storage shelf life with a reduced need for regular testing
- Year-round performance – No risk of gelling, even in low temperatures
- Sustainable – Certified by the International Sustainability and Carbon Certification (ISCC)
Why come to us for HVO fuel?
- We will process your order straight away and arrange for your HVO fuel to be delivered within 48 hours.
- Do you urgently need fuel? We offer an emergency fuel delivery service to ensure that you don’t have to wait longer than 24 hours receive your order.
- After you have placed an order with us, you will be given your own dedicated account manager. They will be your reliable point of contact whenever you want to place another order, or if you simply need a little advice or support regarding your HVO supply.
- Finding it difficult to manage your fuel supply? With our fuel management service, you can leave the busywork to us. We will monitor your fuel supply so then we know exactly when you need your tank topping up.
- All our deliveries are run on HVO fuel with any remaining emissions offset – at no extra cost to you.
Ready to use HVO fuel your business?
We can help the transition process via our transportable sustainable fuel stations. They come in either 5,300 litre, 10,000 litre or 20,000 litre capacities and provide superior security for stationary fuelling.
All fuel stations are 110% bunded and comply with BS799 Part 5, providing an environmentally safe bulk storage solution for your business.
For more information about HVO fuel, give our sustainable fuel experts a call today on 0333 241 6880.
What is HVO fuel made from?
HVO is a synthetic diesel alternative made from 100% renewable and sustainable feedstocks. It’s made by reacting vegetable or other oils with hydrogen at high temperatures and pressure.
Unlike regular FAME biodiesel, hydrogen is used in the production process instead of methanol, which leads to a hydrogenation process instead of esterification. Hydrogen removes oxygen, sulphur, unsaturation and aromatics from the fuel, making it a more clean-burning, environmentally-friendly renewable diesel alternative, without the short shelf life of regular biodiesel and diesel products.
Can I use HVO fuel in my car?
The Institution of Mechanical Engineers claims that sustainable and low carbon fuels such as HVO provide an immediate opportunity to accelerate the decarbonisation of road transport.
HVO fuel meets EN 15940:2016 standards and Fuel Quality Directive 2009/30/EC Annex 2, and has a wide range of OEM approvals. This means it can be used as a drop-in alternative to red and white diesel without voiding warranties in many applications. You should always check your manufacturer’s recommendations though!
|Heavy Duty Road Vehicles||Passenger Cars||Non-Road Use|
Why is HVO fuel becoming so popular?
One of the main obstacles that biodiesel producers have been looking to overcome is the longevity of their fuel. Because regular biodiesel involves an esterification process that fails to remove oxygen from the diesel, it increases the chances of oxidation, which leads to contamination. This is why biodiesel has to be closely monitored to make sure it’s still usable.
HVO’s hydrogenation process removes all oxygen from the fuel, making it much more likely to last longer in the tank than biodiesel or FAME-blended diesels.
What’s the difference between HVO fuel and regular biodiesel?
The production process is the main element that differentiates HVO fuel from regular biodiesel. This results in its molecules being consistent and uniform, allowing HVO to perform much better in several areas:
- Net CO2 emissions are up to 90% lower than fossil diesel
- Improved cold temperature performance with excellent cold start properties in winter
- Better combustion and filterability than other diesel products
- HFRR lubricity of around 350 microns which represents “best in class” compared to EN590 diesel
- 10 times’ longer shelf life than fossil diesel
- For every 1000 litres of diesel burned you will produce 3.6 tonnes of CO2, compared to just 195kg CO2 for every 1000 litres of HVO
The table below compares the different characteristics of HVO, FAME and regular diesel:
|Characteristic||Diesel||FAME biodiesel||HVO fuel|
|BIO Content||< 7||100||100|
|Distillation Level, C||200 – 350||340 – 355||200 – 320|
|Cetane Level||51||50 – 65||< 70|
|Stability from Oxidation||Average||Below Average – Poor||Excellent|
Where can you buy HVO fuel in the UK?
While previously hard to source in bulk, Crown Oil UK is proud to be one of the UK’s leading HVO fuel suppliers with bulk stock available for delivery within 48 hours of order.
Time is of the essence. Start reducing your net greenhouse gas emissions right away and choose a cleaner future with HVO fuel. Call 0333 241 6880 today to speak with our sustainable fuel experts.